Tuesday, August 21, 2007

MICHAEL VICK IS GOING TO JAIL!!!

I'm having a hard time coming up with something new to add to this Michael Vick business.

After his early denials to the owner of the Atlanta Falcons and to the Commissioner of the NFL, Vick has done a complete about face and decided to enter a plea of guilty which is part of a "deal" he's made with prosecutors. A deal, I believe, the judge in this case can choose to accept or reject.

The way things stand now, most folks believe that Vick will receive a sentence of a year to 18 months in jail, of which at least 85% would be served because this is a federal penalty. There's also a possibility Vick could face state charges in Virginia, charges that could result in additional jail time. Vick's plea, which will officially be made next Monday, has nothing to do with possible charges in Virginia.

Will he ever play in the NFL again? That's a question a lot of people are wondering about because the NFL hasn't said what their position will be.

We know they're angry, because they believe that Vick lied to them. Same deal with the owner of the Falcons.

A question I keep getting asked is, "Is there that much money in the dog fighting business?!?" The feeling being that if there isn't, why on earth would you risk your NFL career on something like this?

I don't know the answer to the money question, but I'm inclined to doubt it. Risking one's career on something reckless? The world is full of people who have done that!

Short Commentary: I'm a guy who has owned and or lived with at least 7 dogs. I loved every one of 'em. In fact, I've often said I tend to like dogs more than people. I've never known a dog who wasn't loyal. If Michael Vick was indeed responsible for the torture and merciless murder of dogs, I'm inclined to not care what the judge decides to do to him.

SPEAKING OF LAWBREAKERS:

Oh, the bleeding heart baloney I'm hearing and reading regarding Elvira Arellano, who was deported back to Mexico. The biggest baloney is the wailing about how immigration officials and cold hearted people (like me, perhaps?) are responsible for separating families!!!

Upholding the law is apparently not an issue with these baloney b.s.-ers.

First of all, Elvira Arellano is damn lucky she wasn't sentenced to prison before she was deported. After being deported the first time, she came back, stole a Social Security number had a kid, played the "child" sympathy card and hid out in a Chicago church. When she was arrested the other day and deported again, here came the "You nasty law enforcers are breaking up the family!" crowd. Here's what's off the charts laughable about that! Elvira Arellano's 8-year old son was given a choice, not by the court, but by his mother! He could return to Mexico with her or he could stay in Chicago with the Reverend who's made a name for himself by allowing lawbreakers to hide out in his church. Elvira Arellano's son chose to not be with his mother.

Meanwhile, a lot of people are wondering if maybe it's time to remove the tax exempt status of churches who decide to harbor criminals.

I received a number of responses to yesterday's commentary about this subject, but I have time to read only one and this came from a brother blogger whose title is, Beer Can Politics.
"Spot on commentary about facts surrounding the fugitive from justice Elvira Arellano. My only concern is what took the Feds so long to deport her? She was hiding in plain sight in the church in Chicago and traveled all the way to LA and gave speeches before they nabbed her. But, a deportation is a deportation. And hopefully our laws will continue to be enforced."

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:

In case you hadn't heard, Joe Mantegna will take the place of Mandy Patinkin on CBS' "Criminal Minds". I've never met Joe, but I like his work. A lot. I say that even though he beat me out for the lead role in a small film about a couple of brothers and an airplane. Am I bitter? No! Have I forgotten about it? Not yet.

A lot of changes are being made on Fox's "24". The latest is the addition of Janeane Garofalo, who will play a government agent who is part of the team investigating the latest trouble Jack Bauer is in.

"Vanilla Deluxe" has a new job. That would be Ryan Seacrest who will host the Emmy Awards on the 16th of September. Like "American Idol", the Emmy Awards will be shown on Fox.

RADIO TIP FOR TONIGHT:

For those of you in the Los Angeles area, I'll be making my 5th Tuesday night appearance with Joe McDonnell on his KLAC sports talk show from a little after 9:30 to close to 10. I've had a lot of fun working with Joe and his partner Tim and if you get a chance, I hope you'll check us out. KLAC is 570 on the AM dial. If you're not in LA you can still listen online at http://www.am570radio.com/pages/streaming.html

EDITOR'S NOTE: Don't forget! You can HEAR this blog! The links to the stations broadcasting today's blog can be found at the bottom of my links section which is to the right of what you're reading now. It's the last links.

IF YOU READ THIS BEFORE PICTURES HAVE BEEN ADDED, COME BACK! PICTURES WILL BE UP SOON!

A new blog is written every morning, Monday through Friday and is posted between 7 and 7:15, Pacific Time. Sometimes earlier. Questions and comments can be sent to scottstjames@sbcglobal.net. I do write back.

TOMORROW: What some U.S. Senators want the Iraqi government to do and anything else that makes me say, "Whaaaat?!?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home