Friday, September 07, 2007

WILL AN ENDANGERED FISH BE THE REASON WE'LL BE FORCED TO LOSE 30% OF OUR WATER?!?

I like to think I'm as environmentally conscious as most folks. I put my diet soda cans in bags and take them to a recycling center once a week.

Whaaaat?!?

There's more to this environmental business than that?!?

Okay. I'm kidding. A little!

But I thought it was a joke when I heard that a small fish threatened with extinction could very well be the reason that water imported to us (here) in Southern California from Northern California will have to be cut by up to thirty percent! Yeah, a U.S. District Judge named Oliver Wanger has made that ruling. A ruling that could lead to water rationing if we don't voluntarily use less water.

This fish that's in danger of becoming extinct is called a delta smelt.

Have you ever heard of a "delta smelt"?

Me neither and my first reaction to the possibility of this fish becoming extinct or me having 30% percent less water is to say, "Goodbye little fishie!"

According to an editorial in today's Los Angeles Daily News, I shouldn't blame the fish because what this fish has done is given us a "wake up call", which is something we desperately need. Because of so many major construction developments that bring in more people who need more water, we're bound to run out of water anyway, unless....?

Well, near as I can figure it, we're gonna be facing some hard to deal with water rationing unless we get rid of the fish and all these new people who keep coming here. Which is another reason to bring in a bunch of trucks and haul all these illegals outta here.

Or...How about this?

Do we really have to stay in the shower as long as we do?

Do we really have to use as much water on our lawns as we do?

Could we maybe stop walking away from running water in our sinks for as long as we do? Or at all? I do it. And I'm not alone.

And how about the time we spend away from our running water in the shower before we even enter the shower stall?!?

You see, that's the voluntary part we could do. That all of us could do.

Voluntarily use less water or accept water rationing that could be up to 30%? You decide!

Or...Goodbye little fishie and let's get the trucks and a bunch of guys from I.C.E.

NEW MOVIES:

There are a number of new films that open today, but what's interesting to me is that all the buzz appears to be about a film that will open next Friday. A film I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. "The Brave One", starring Jodie Foster in a role worthy of Oscar consideration. And is there another Oscar nomination on the horizon for George Clooney? That's the buzz for Clooney's starring role in a film called "Michael Clayton" which will open October 12.

"3:10 to Yuma" opens today. It's a remake of an old Glenn Ford film and most reviewers seem to think it's pretty good. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale are the main stars in this film which (according to some reviewers) has some logic problems that is more than made up for by the tremendous amount of bullets that are fired. That reminds me of what my late friend and Hall of Fame broadcaster Robert W. Morgan used to say; "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!" I plan to see "3:10 to Yuma" today.

Another new shoot 'em up is actually called, "Shoot 'Em Up" and this has fun popcorn film written all over it. It stars Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti who in addition to using a lot of ammunition, chew up a lot scenery, acting wise. Some critics liked the shooting and the chewing and some didn't. I plan to see "Shoot 'Em Up" tomorrow or Sunday.

TELEVISION STUFF:

Pretty soon, a lot of these great shows on cable will end because the new network season will begin in a couple of weeks. "Damages" on FX and "Mad Men" on AMC are first rate shows. Especially "Damages". "Rescue Me" on FX is also very good and if you want to do yourself a favor, check out Showtime's "Californication". This show gets better and better with each new episode.

THE GUY ON THE BICYCLE WITH ONE LEG:

Thanks to those of you who sent e-mails about the bicycle rider who blew me away the other day. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the final story in yesterday's (Thursday's) blog. And no, I don't know the guy's name or whether or not he's a war veteran.

EDITOR'S NOTE: IF YOU READ THIS BEFORE PICTURES HAVE BEEN ADDED, COME BACK! PICTURES WILL BE UP SOON!

A new blog is written every morning, Monday through Friday and is posted between 7 and 7:15, Pacific Time. Sometimes earlier. Questions and comments can be sent to scottstjames@sbcglobal.net. I do write back.

MONDAY: My thoughts about "3:10 to Yuma" and "Shoot 'Em Up" (if I see it)...and anything else that makes me say, "Whaaaat?!?"

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYBODY!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home