Monday, February 25, 2008

IT WAS THE LOWEST RATED OSCAR SHOW EVER!!!

No, all the blame doesn't go to host Jon Stewart, but he does nothing to help the show, either.

Jon Stewart is an overrated "talent" who's specialty is being smarmy.

Jon Stewart is not now a mainstream host and by the looks of things, he never will be.

Yes, there were a few times he said things that were funny, but those times were too few.

In Jon Stewart's opening riff, he fired off a couple of good lines, but too much of what he delivered is what I refer to as "reaching humor". As in reaching for a laugh and still reaching.

It would be easy for me to do a whole commentary (that would be "overkill") directed at Jon Stewart because he was that bad, but I'll just mention what were (to me) a couple of "lowlights".

His amateurish bit prior to a song sung by Amy Adams.

His lame and amateurish no-taste Angelina Jolie baby bit.

Jon Stewart was given credit for bringing Best Original Song co-winner Marketa Irglova back out on a stage so she could give an acceptance speech after the orchesta's music prevented her from doing so. If Stewart had done that on his own, I would have been tempted to give him a lot of slack for his otherwise (mostly) useless participation, but that wasn't Stewart's decision. He was ordered to do that by Oscar show producer Gil Cates.

I could go on and on, but I won't. I told you what I thought of this guy in the commentary I wrote Friday and (sadly) he didn't do anything to change my mind.

Who could have done a better job? Besides Billy Crystal? How about Ellen DeGeneres? Don't snicker. Ellen makes the audience comfortable. The audience watching at home and the audience sitting in the Kodak. But here's another person that I would never have thought of until I watched him hosting the half hour just before the Oscar show began. Regis!!! Yeah, Reeege!!!

He was enthusiastic! Regis acted like he liked being there. Jon Stewart acted like a guy who could hardly wait to hurt someone's feelings because in his mind, that kind of stuff is funny.

Here's a newsflash, Jon. It isn't and you aren't!

HERE'S WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE OSCAR SHOW!!!

Jon Stewart's lines about Cate Blanchett.

Javier Bardem's acceptance speech.

Tilda Swinton's acceptance speech and her daring to have fun with this generation's Cary Grant who is George Clooney. And Clooney, a guy who can (in a funny way) "dish it out", showed he can also "take it". My friend (Entertainment Tonight's) Kevin Gershan suggests that Clooney would be hell of a good choice to host the Oscar show.

No argument from me! How about Queen Latifah?

OTHER STUFF I LIKED...

The speech that Marion Cotillard gave. Wow, wow and triple wow! I love it when someone wins an award like this and they let you know that they love it too!!!

The speech that Diablo Cody gave. Despite the fact she was wearing a dress, Ms. Cody walked up there looking like a biker chick but gave a short speech that was long on humility and made you root for her to have future successes in this business.

The speech that Daniel Day-Lewis gave. And I thought it was so cool when he kissed George Clooney before he got on stage to accept his Oscar.

And yeah, I'm glad that Robert Elswit won the Oscar for Best Cinematography in "There Will Be Blood."

IF YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING I'VE WRITTEN AND YOU'D LIKE TO TELL ME, FIRE OFF AN EMAIL TO scottstjames@sbcglobal.net I respond to everyone.

RALPH NADER IS GOING TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT AGAIN?!?

Yo, Ralph!!! Your screwing up elections quota has been exceeded! GO HOME!!!!

GAS PRICES ARE UP, UP AND AWAY!!!

That's just what this terrible economy needs, right? Skyrocketing gas prices!!! I suppose we could pray for lower prices or for the presidential election to get here quicker, but according to a new poll,

MORE AND MORE AMERICANS SAY THEY'RE NOT PART OF ANY ORGANIZED FAITH!!!

A brand new poll on religion tells us that every religion is losing and gaining members, but the Roman Catholic Church has experienced the greatest net losses!

The group that had the greatest net gain was the unaffiliated. In other words, people who aren't "believers". 16% of Americans say they aren't part of any organized faith and I think that number might be low, because all the preaching we've gotten from this current administration and some of their zealot backers leads a lot of people to believe it might be a good idea to believe in something else!

JOHN McCAIN???

Well, let me put it this way. In the coming days, weeks and or months, we will learn that, "A saint, he ain't!"

THE NEXT BLOG?

Soon! And you know that at least one of the subjects will be about something that makes me say, "Whaaaat?!?"




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Jon Stewart improved markedly over his first outing. With rare exceptions, he struck me as amusing, gracious, and intelligent for the full evening.

The Academy might have done better, but could have done a lot worse. Recall the David Letterman debacle, a disastrous display from which Letterman never fully recovered.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all of the scandals and other setbacks the Catholic Church has had, and with its large membership, it's not scarcely surprising that they would have the most net losses. I wonder how many of them came belonged to St. James parish!

Also, Scott seems incorrectly to equate "unaffiliated" and "non-believer". Just because someone has no religious affiliation does not mean that he or she is an atheist. (Or, by the way, vise versa.)

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home