Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"NO PARTICULAR PLACE TO GO!!!"

While thinking about what to write today (there's sooo much!), an old song by Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, Chuck Berry came to mind. The title of that song is this week's headline. Do you remember the first words of that song? "Ridin' around in my auto-mobile!"

And that leads me to what my first subject will be.

When you're ridin' around in your auto-mobile, is there a favorite radio station you listen to? If you're answer is, "Not really.", you're not alone.

I'm not in my car much, but when I am, I listen to Rick Dees in the morning on Movin'-FM and at night, I listen to "The Joe McDonnell Experience" on KLAC-AM.

That's it?

Yep!

Why?

Too many commercials combined with too little talent.

So when I'm in the car, with the two exceptions I acknowledge, I listen to a lot of music CD's.

And that leads me to something I wholeheartedly endorse as something I think you'd enjoy listening to at home. Especially if you like "oldies". No, not the repetitive boring oldies. I'm talkin' 'bout oldies you grew up with and fell in love with. Oldies you can hear on your computer at http://www.richbroradio.com/ I listen to this all the time while I do my work here.

I live and work in Los Angeles, so the radio stations I mentioned are L.A. radio stations. http://www.richbroradio.com/ is something you can listen to anywhere in the world! No commercials. Just fun oldies hosted by a guy in San Diego who's been having fun all of his life.

AND NOW, SOME UN-PLEASANT ITEMS...

Food prices!

I was in my favorite supermarket yesterday. I heard so much grumblin', I got to thinkin' I might have accidentally walked into a sporting event.

I'm not going to itemize here, because I know that you're experiencing what I'm experiencing! More examples of how lousy this economy is under the worst administration in all of our lifetimes! Bread, soup, soda, liquid breakfasts, cookies, cheese, everything!!! Higher, Higher and Higher!!! Because of also having to deal with outrageous gas prices and everything else that costs a lot more, we're all stuck with the same problem. What can I live without!!!


SOME PEOPLE IN CONGRESS WANT TO BAIL OUT THE UNSCRUPULOUS LENDERS WHO MADE THOSE "TOO EASY TO GET" LOANS THAT HAVE RESULTED IN MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF FORECLOSURES!?!

No, No, NO!!!

President Bush seems to (finally) be on the right side of an issue (this one) and one only hopes that he isn't talked into changing his mind.


THE FAIRNESS DOCTRINE!!!

If you listen to, watch or read the propaganda spewed by people like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc., the so-called "Fairness Doctrine" is about them and they're scared to death.

And if you listen closely, you'll hear something new on these programs. People with opposing views are being allowed on and in some cases to stay on a little longer than usual. Because Rush is a "stone pro", his new callers are actually given a pretty fair hearing now. But Hannity? I can't recreate his phony laugh, but please imagine that I am. Sean Hannity encourages people to call him "A great American" and while he has recently had people on who disagree with him, he doesn't give that occasional opposing view a real chance to express his or her point of view. When Hannity's quickly tired of the caller who dares to disagree with him, he berates their views with more propaganda and hangs up on them. But when a caller agrees with him and flatters him, that caller is on until it's time for a commercial.

Sean Hannity acts as though he's in constant awe when he speaks to or makes reference to, Mayor Rudy, Speaker Newt and Architect Karl.

Architect Karl is a baby faced "assassin" who if he'd ever been in combat would likely to have had reason to be fearful of both sides and in my opinion should be in jail because of the Plame business.

Mayor Rudy showed how classy he is when his wife found out he was leaving her by hearing him say it in a press conference.

Speaker Newt seems like a guy I would probably like and a guy who I think could have been a serious presidential contender except for a serious "family values" flaw. A flaw that was highly publicized.

Sean Hannity likes to talk a lot about "associations". Well, I've just now told you about three of his associations. Associations that wouldn't (in the big picture of things) make any difference, but Hannity likes to talk about how big of a "family values" guy he is and what kind of a "straight-up" guy he is. Maybe so, but his associations don't pass those "smell tests".

Back to the "Fairness Doctrine". If it passes, stations that broadcast political talk shows would have to give "equal time" for/to opposing views. This would most likely lead to stations deciding this was/is too much "trouble" and would cause them to change formats which would put these political talk show hosts out of work.

Greedy radio companies and hosts who began to believe their own press clippings have brought this possibility onto themselves. They've had a great ride, but they've also gotten cocky.

So now, when you hear a few more opposing views on these shows, you'll know why. The question is, have they begun to allow these views too late?!?

THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS? Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net. I write back to everyone.


GEORGE CARLIN!!!

A very funny man who was a "pioneer" passed away the other day. George Carlin was 71. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I saw many of his specials on HBO. I did a lot of laughing when I watched him perform. Like when he said, "Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone will CLEAN them?!?"


DON IMUS!!!

A broadcasting legend! Also a "pioneer" in the sense that he was one of the first "shock jocks".

Lately, he's had trouble keeping subjects having to do with "race" from coming out of his mouth.

It's a shame, because once upon a time, Don Imus was one very funny dude. Maybe he still is, but all we ever hear about him now has to do with him being in trouble because of something he said that has a "race" taint to it.

Yes, that's been part of his act in the past, but ya always gotta understand your current terrain. If you're no longer able to understand your current terrain, it might be time to "hang 'em up".


DIANE LANE!!!

I'm going to close this week's blog on a pleasant note.

I became a fan of Diane Lane's when I saw her first film, "A Little Romance". I think she was 12 or 13 and she was absolutely adorable in that film.

I remember watching Siskel & Ebert one night when Gene was still alive and Roger was still functional and both guys went off on a rant about how Diane Lane never seemed to get the good roles and that in their opinion, Diane Lane was someone who deserved a "break" because her terrific talent was being wasted!

I totally agreed with what they said and I've had this long distance "crush" on her forever.

I've never met Diane Lane, but I got close to meeting her. Once. At a party in Malibu in the mid to late 80's. It was a benefit for a female stunt driver who had suffered very serious and life changing injuries in a crash. If memory serves, it was at Jamie Lee Curtis' home. Tatum O'Neal was also there along with some female "brat packers". I was there with an Australian actress. When we decided to leave, we had to go through the living room to reach the front door. Standing there alone, smoking a cigarette, was Diane Lane. I'll never know what I might have said or done if I hadn't been with a date, but what I did do was wink as I walked past her.

I bring this up because a reader of this blog who chooses to remain anonymous, heard me on KLAC a couple of weeks ago speaking with show host Joe McDonnell about Diane Lane. Joe's also a fan of hers. The anonymous reader/listener sent me a DVD that includes scenes from films she's been in and photographs of her. A lot of this stuff I hadn't seen before, but seeing it reminded me of what Siskel & Ebert said and when the DVD ended, I knew I had looked at one of the most (if not the most) sincere smiles I've ever seen in my life.

An actor much smarter than me gave me these acting words of wisdom; "Once you've learned how to fake it, you've got it made!"

And I say, if what I saw on that Diane Lane DVD was "fakin' it", I will be more than happy to pay for that acting class!

FYI...Diane Lane's next film will be "Nights in Rodanthe" and is scheduled to be shown in September. Richard Gere and Christopher Meloni will also be in this film. This will be Lane's third film with Richard Gere. The last one, "Unfaithful", got her an Oscar nomination.

THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS? Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net. I write back to everyone.

THE NEXT BLOG? Unless something unexpected comes up, a week from today. I'm still working on a "suicide" story.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DIANE LANE is gorgeous and a GREAT actress!

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea Scott St. James was such a vacuous preachy lib. For a person with a radio background he apparently has a short memory as he doesn't remember when a lib on KABC ruled the air waves in the 1980s. Like most libs that can't compete he expects the government to do it for him.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home