Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The RACE Issue!!! Should we approach it with kid gloves?!? Or with a HAMMER!!!

Thanks to Reverend Jeremiah Wright's recent publicity blitz, we've been slapped in the face with the "Race Issue", haven't we? And it has caused Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama to pretty much disown any relationship he ever had with Reverend Wright. Wright officiated at Obama's wedding and he baptized Obama's children, but most recently, Wright pretty much threw Obama under the bus when he publicly acknowledged what appears to be (at the very least) an admiration of some kind for Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan. Wright also stated something along the lines of Obama's criticism of Wright having been more to do with "politics" than the "truth".

Yesterday, Obama let it be known in plain English that it's apparent Wright doesn't know Obama as well as he thinks he does and that Obama most definitely didn't know Wright as well as he thought he did! And he made it clear that these things Wright has been saying the last few days are not things that Obama believes or believes in. AT ALL!!!

But what about the "Race Issue" in general? Talk show hosts like "Little Lord Fauntleroy", otherwise known as Sean Hannity, more often than not sound like someone who should be fitted for a robe and hood because of his total ignorance of the subject.

A big reason people like Hannity are clueless when it comes to something like this is because they were never required to or never chose to do something he's happy to let everyone or any one else do. And that's in the area of public service. Like joining the military for a couple of years.

Ya know, when we had a military draft, a lot of people were required to wear the uniform for at least two years and during those two years, they were forced to live with people the likes of which many of them had never even spoken to. Black people, for instance. And whether they intended to or not, before these people left the military, they had gotten a little bit of insight into how some other folks feel and think about things. Priceless insight!

If we're going to risk bankrupting this country for a questionable war, by having a draft, the presidential administration advocating a war effort will learn immediately about how most of the rest of America feels about a possible war. But what's even cooler than that is the fact that a lot of young people who are drafted, get to learn (for at least two years) how people of different colors act and think about things.

Someone much smarter than me once said (in essence) that our military became an equal opportunity opportunity a lot faster than darn near anything in the civilian sector. And yes, because we're all human, not everyone who walked into the military a bigot, walked out of the military not being a bigot. But what they did walk out of the military as, (in spite of previous prejudices) was a little more understanding of people who look a little different than they do.

Personally, I'm glad the "Race Issue" IS an issue. And yes, I'd like to see us REINSTATE THE MILITARY DRAFT and if a war is considered to be "in our best interests", I'd like to see TAXES RAISED so that we the people who thought this was a good idea PAY FOR THE WAR as opposed to making OUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN pay for it!!!

THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS? Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net. I write back to everyone.

HOW 'BOUT DEM GAS PRICES!!!

Gas prices!!! Ugh and Yuck!!! President Bush's solution? To bitch and moan about Congress not considering legislation that would allow drilling for oil in Alaska and or legislation that would allow more nuclear facilities to be built.

Short Commentary: I used to be against lifting the regulations against drilling for oil in places that we haven't been allowed to drill in America. I've changed my mind. And I'm all for the exploration of the nuclear solution.

But here's what bugs me about President Bush. He hasn't publicly suggested that we do what all of us can do! And that's to make the effort to CUT BACK on the amount of times we use our vehicles. I mean, how tough would it be for President Bush to go on camera and say something like, "Look at me, America! Times are tough! We're gonna do our best to get you out of this mess, but until we do, here's what YOU can do! Make an honest effort to cut back on the amount of gas you use by fifteen percent. You'll save energy, but above all, you'll save money. Money that can be used for food or other necessities. I know you can do it! Thank you and God Bless America!"

I mean, isn't that something we should expect from the President of the United States during times like this? Or have we reached such a "low expectations" point regarding this president we would be surprised if he did tell us something like I just suggested?

Does President Bush not do this because he's stupid? No, I don't think he's stupid. I think President Bush is what he's always been. In touch with the "haves" and totally out of touch when it comes to everyone else.

CRAIG FERGUSON HAD THE LINE OF THE NIGHT AT THE WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS' DINNER!!!

Actually, President Bush had a couple of pretty good lines, too. This is a yearly event and it's packed with a lot of famous people, both in and out of politics. Referring to people who weren't there, President Bush said, "Senator McCain's not here. He probably wanted to distance himself from me a little bit. You know, he's not alone. Jenna's moving out too." President Bush also said, "Hillary Clinton couldn't get in because of sniper fire and Senator Obama's at church."

CBS' "Late Late Show" host, Craig Ferguson made cracks about what President Bush might do after he leaves office and then Ferguson talked about Vice President Dick Cheney when he said,
"Vice President Cheney is already moving out of his residence. It takes longer than you think to pack up an entire dungeon."

THE FINAL FIVE ON AMERICAN IDOL!!!

Last night, it was Neil Diamond night on American Idol. Each of the five finalists sang two Neil Diamond songs, but before they sang on stage, they listened (or not) to suggestions from Neil Diamond. Tonight, Neil Diamond will sing while the "Final Five" will wonder if they'll be part of the "Final Four".

What you're about to read are short notes I wrote about the "Final Five", the songs they sang and who I think might be eliminated tonight.

Each singer sang one song and then returned to sing another song. The judges said nothing until all five singers had sung their first songs and all five singers were critiqued at once. That didn't work out too well, so when the singers sang their second songs, the judges critiqued them as they usually do which is one at a time.

1: Jason sang, "Forever in Blue Jeans" and "September Morning". I thought that "Blue Jeans" was so-so and I thought his version of "September Morning" was awful.

2: Older David sang, "I'm Alive" and "All I Really Need is You". His version of "I'm Alive" was, to me, very Neil Diamond-esque and I liked it. Older David's version of "I'm Alive" was okay, but I didn't like it as much as the judges did.

3: Brooke...Ah, sensitive, constantly on the verge of imploding, Brooke. Brooke sang, "I'm a Believer" and "I Am, I Said". I thought that "I'm a Believer" was so-so-okay, but I thought her version of "I Am, I Said", was nice.

4: Young David sang, "Sweet Caroline" and "Comin' to America". His version of "Sweet Caroline" didn't work for me, but his version of "Comin' to America" DID work! Big time!

5: Syesha sang, "Hello Again" and "Thank the Lord for the Nighttime". She should have reversed them. I thought her version of "Hello Again" was the best version of a Neil Diamond song in round one. Her version of "Thank the Lord for the Nighttime" was only so-so and was big time noticeable because it was the last song we heard. When it was Simon's turn to critique Syesha's version of that song, he told her, "I think you're in trouble!"

Who do I think will be eliminated tonight? First of all, I've never been right, but here goes. Jason and Brooke are (to me) very lucky to still be in this competition. I hope that Simon is wrong about Syesha. My pick to be eliminated is Jason.

THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS? Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net. I write back to everyone.

THE NEXT BLOG?

Unless something unforseen comes up, a week from today. And you know that at least one of the subjects will be something that makes me say, "Whaaaat?!?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home