Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It was the hands down BEST American Idol show of the YEAR!!!

Since writing my last blog, I spent several days near the Mexican border in the San Diego area while playing a border agent who isn't too fond of illegal immigrants. I admit it. It was a role that was not difficult for me find the motivation to play, despite the physicality involved in a fight scene that was shot over and over and over again. Because that's the way things are done when you film something. Each actor has to have their closeups, the production company needs wide shots and what are known as "for safety" shots. And then are additional shots done when the exact moves aren't made or when there's a problem with lighting or when there's a problem with the camera itself.

Like someone much smarter than me once said, "If it was easy, ANYONE could do it!!!"

Oh...How did the fight scene end? When the illegal immigrant I had in custody referred to my wife as a whore, I went nuts and beat him to death with what is known as a Mag Light.

The reason my character went nuts is because his wife was killed by an illegal immigrant.

I bring all this up to tell you I'm in more of an entertainment mood today so I'm not figuring to write much (if anything) about politics.

BRAVO TO THE FINAL 6 ON AMERICAN IDOL!!!

For different reasons, I liked 'em all on American Idol last night!

The final 6 were told to select songs written by Andrew Lloyd Webber who was also their music mentor this week.

And what a mentor he was. In fact, I think Andrew Lloyd Webber was the best music mentor that American Idol has EVER had!

What you're about to read are short notes I wrote about all of last night's singers, the songs they sang and who I think might be eliminated tonight.

1: Syesha began the show by singing, "One Rock 'n Roll Too Many". But before she sang, Andrew Lloyd Webber made the prediction (in essence) that we might well see something special. That's a heck of a build-up and one couldn't help but wonder how Syesha would respond to that. Well, I've often mentioned my "tingle test" and Syesha more than passed that test! I mean, Syesha not only looked smokin' hot, she sang smokin' hot! I LOVED it and I think Syesha's singing and performing set the tone for what I truly believe was the best American Idol show ever.

2: Jason sang, "Memory". I thought he came across as a bit "breathy" and I hope you know what I mean by that. I liked what he did, but I didn't think it was great.

3: Brooke sang, "You Must Love Me". And she gave us a high tension moment when about 5 seconds into the song, she stopped and asked the band to begin again. She later said she did that because she temporarily forgot the words. I thought her recovery was terrific and that she ended up singing well. The judges disagreed with me, but I think the judges were wrong. I'm not suggesting she sang as well as Syesha last night, but neither did anyone else.

4: Young David sang, "Think Of Me". I thought it was very nice.

5: Carly sang, "Superstar". Before she sang, we heard her admit that she had chosen a different song, but that Andrew Lloyd Webber had talked her out of it. And what a good decision THAT was! I mean, Carly came out and flat "Rocked the House!" During her whole song, I was tapping my foot so hard I wondered if I might be in danger of injuring myself. It was my second favorite performance of the night.

6: Older David sang, "Music Of The Night" and he showed me range I didn't know he had. I thought it was very good and a nice way to end the evening with me feeling that I liked all of the singers.

But somebody will be picked to leave American Idol tonight.

I don't think any of 'em deserve expulsion tonight, but I'll tell you which 2 of the terrific 6 might be the bottom 2 tonight. Jason and Brooke with Brooke maybe being the expelled one because she's escaped that fate on a couple of other nights that she probably should have been expelled. Kind of like what happened to Kristy last week.

FOUR FILMS WORTH CHECKING OUT!!!

Before running off to play that border agent I wrote about, I saw four films I'd like to recommend. And I'll begin with a film that's been barbecued by the critics.

"88 Minutes", starring Al Pacino. I disagree with the critics. Does this film have a lot of "holes" in it. Sure it does. But if it's overall entertaining, aren't we supposed to have the capability to overlook plot "holes"? I was very entertained by this film.

Keanu Reeves is one of these guys who seems to get criticized for a film he's thinking about doing, but he continues to make films and for the most part he does good work in them. Like in the film, "Street Kings". Like with the new Pacino film, there are a lot of other good actors in "Street Kings" and I was very entertained by this film!

"21" is a gambling film that stars Kevin Spacey, the beautiful Kate Bosworth, Laurence Fishburne and some other fine actors. One criticism I've heard is that the film is "predictable". Perhaps, but I'm a gambler and I liked the film a lot!

And here's the film that surprised me. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". I thought this film might be for people who are a lot younger than I am and was very prepared to NOT like this film. At ALL!!!

Is there anyone hotter than producer Judd Apatow now? He put together a starring cast of Jason Segal, Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis and Russell Brand. Four people who you can't help but care about. A LOT! I was totally into what is a love story and I was able to relate to everything we see on the screen. Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!!!

THE TELEVISION SHOW, "BOSTON LEGAL"!!!

We are hearing that "Boston Legal" might not return next season. If so, that's going to be a damn shame.

Like most fans of the show, I love the Shore/Crane relationship that's played by James Spader and William Shatner. And I really love the different storylines they tackle.

Did you see last night's show? I was about the Spader character presenting a case to the U.S. Supreme Court. And while doing so, he brought up a lot of cases we're all familiar with and blasted the Supreme Court for some decisions they made. Probably not recommended for a real lawyer, but it certainly made for compelling television. If you saw the show, you saw James Spader deliver a ton of dialogue without stopping. That's stuff he has to memorize, folks. But yes, he does that in many of the "Boston Legal" episodes, but last night's episode was an off the charts exception. And brilliantly done.

We have plenty of fake Rolex's on television. "Boston Legal" is the real deal and if it's given the hook, television figures to replace it with something that will help the continuation of the dumbing down of us all.

THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS? Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net. I write back to everyone.

THE NEXT BLOG?

Unless something unforseen comes up, a week from today. And you know that at least one of the subjects will be something that makes me say, "Whaaaat?!?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home