Friday, February 22, 2013

We COME, we DO, we GO!!!!!

Hi Gang!   First of all, thanks for your responses to the Social Security rant that was in last week's blog.

I call your attention to the headline you can see above.

That phrase is a phrase that is used often by Claude Hall.   Anybody in radio who was lucky enough to have become a "SOMEBODY" in radio knows who Claude Hall is.   He's the Godfather of all columns written about radio.   I first heard about him in the late 60's when he was writing a radio column for Billboard Magazine.   Since then, he's written a number of books and his weekly radio column can be read in Jack Roberts' fine "Hollywood Hills" column, a column that Jack writes 7-days a week.   If you would like to read Jack's column (I read it everyday), here's what you click on to;   www.hollywoodhillsgroup.com

And by the way, MY column is also printed by Jack Roberts.

Back to Claude Hall's "We Come, we DO, we GO" phrase and why I'M using it in this blog.

I was affected by three deaths this week and the week isn't over yet.  I've written about the fact that the idea for this blog was presented to me by Kevin Gershan, a guy I've known for more than 30-years.   I met him when he was radio hall famer Robert W. Morgan's producer at Gene Autry's KMPC.   Kevin also began working at "Entertainment Tonight" the first day that show went on the air, he's still there and he long ago worked himself up to the positions of being a director and producer.   Yesterday, Kevin's long time mentor, Milt Hoffman passed away.   Kevin wrote a terrific tribute about Hoffman and you can read it in Jack Roberts' column.

I hurt for my friend Kevin.   Three days earlier, Jerry Buss, a guy I knew for 33+years died.   He was the very, very successful owner of the L.A. Lakers basketball team.   I could easily write a hundred pages about Jerry, but I'm going to keep this relatively brief.   I arrived in Los Angeles from St. Louis in the latter part of '79 which was about the time that Buss bought the Lakers.   His birthday was January 27 and on that date in 1980, he came on my radio show (by phone) and the first thing he heard was me singing happy birthday to him.   Looking back, I think he probably thought that was "different enough" for him to be interested in knowing a little more about me.   During the Showtime years (the 80's), I saw a lot of Jerry Buss.   Mostly in upper level nightclubs (when the Lakers weren't playing or the game had ended) and while having a few drinks and laughing a lot, we both had our eyes on women in those establishments.   I never saw him "look down" on anyone.  I had the pleasure of being at his home, having dinner at the Forum when the Lakers were playing there and sitting in his private box that had room for lots of "playahs".   God, those were good and fun times.   Along the way, I stopped being a radio and television sports guy here because I had gotten the "acting bug".   And I also got the "writing bug".   I seldom saw him when those things happened, the last time I saw him was ten or so years ago when he invited me to attend a boxing match with him.   I couldn't go, we departed while both of us were smiling and.....All these years later....I get the message that Jerry had died.   That was this past Monday.   Jerry Buss?   Dead?   Impossible!   Why?   Because he was living the "impossible dream"!   A Jerry Jerry Buss CAN'T die!   Like many of you, I watched the tribute to Jerry Buss that took place yesterday and it was televised.   What a tribute!   And everything that was said, was true.

R.I.P., Jerry.   You were an "original"!!!

Just when the Jerry Buss tribute was about to end, my phone rang.   It was my sister.   She was calling to tell me our mother had just died.

This was not one of those "shock-shock" messages.   I knew that she was fading, but.....   Jerry Buss, you would have liked my mother.   And vice versa.   And right now I find myself remembering a song;   "Only the Good die Young".   Is that fair?   No it isn't.

R.I.P. Milt Hoffman, Jerry Buss and my mother.

"We come!   We DO!   We GO!".

Truer words were never spoken, Claude Hall.   But I, for one, am tired of the dying.   I close this subject by suddenly thinking of another song that began with the words, "Let's think about living!".

Please!   Let's!

Here come some quick items and yes, there will be some Oscar predictions...

For all you people who have made yourselves believe that we are in danger of having our guns taken away from us, do what Vice President Joe Biden suggests.   In case you hadn't heard, he's suggesting that for home protection, you buy a shotgun.   I know there's a lot of talk about assault rifles and guns that are like machine guns that people are afraid will be taken from them (which I happen to believe is paranoid nonsense), but a shotgun?   I have one.   12-gauge.   I believe I'm very well protected.   Assault rifle?   Machine gun?   For what?   Unless you want to hang it on a wall like a trophy.

Are you checking out the gas prices?   Fun, huh?

Do you understand this "sequester business"?   If anyone would like to explain the totality of what this is about, I'd be happy to print it in a future blog.   www.scottstjames.blogspot.com

President Obama....Liberal?   Really?

He continued Bush's wars, he's ordering the dropping of deadly drones on people, he directed the Osama killing, etc., etc.   Liberal?  Because he's concerned about all these gun deaths here?   Aren't YOU concerned about them?  

Feel free to send me your thoughts.   www.scottstjames.blogspot.com

I think President Obama is more of a Conservative than a Liberal.  Am I the only one who thinks that?

Have you heard about the possible Senate race coming up in Kentucky soon?   Actress/activist Ashley Judd might take a crack at beating Kentucky's #1 cracker, Mitch McConnell for a U.S. Senate seat?   Hmmmm....

ENTERTAINMENT STUFF:

Diane Lane filed for divorce against Josh Brolin the day after Valentine's Day?   I'm not making this up.   They've been married for 8-years.   Do you think she'll have any trouble getting dates?

I've never met her, but I've had a long distance crush on her for many years.   She's now 48, but still hot-hot-hot!!!

Saw one new film this past week.   "Would you Rather?"   It stars Brittany Snow, Jeffrey Combs, John Heard, Sasha Grey and some other fine supporting actors.   This is most definitely not for everyone folks.   The title, "Would you Rather?" has to do with a diabolical game that is played in this film.   This film had me on the edge of my chair.   It's not a great film, but it's a film you can't take your eyes off of.   Brittany Snow, a beautiful actress who made a name for herself by playing the role of sweet and innocent Meg Pryor in the show "American Dreams".   Ah, how times change.   From sweet and innocent to being (in addition to being the star) the executive producer of this horror film.   Like Dylan once said;   "The times...they are a changin'."

I saw a lot of good television this past week.   And if you had the time, I'm sure you did as well.   In no particular order, this short list represents to me some big time quality television;   ABC's "Revenge", ABC's "Castle", FOX's "The Following", TNT's "Dallas", ABC's "Scandal" and CBS's "The Good Wife".   I am now concerned about FOX's "American Idol".   I've been a big fan for years, but something is wrong.

OSCAR PREDICTIONS:

This Sunday, most of us will be watching the Oscars.   In my role as film judge this past year, I saw every film that was nominated for something and a lot of films that weren't.

Best Film:   "Argo"   If not, my second choice would be "Silver Linings Playbook".

Director:   David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook".  

Best Actor:   Denzel Washington, "Flight".

Best Actress:   Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook".

Supporting Actor:   Tommy Lee Jones, "Lincoln".

Supporting Actress:   Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables".

It looks like the producers have gone "all out" while trying to make Sunday's show a very entertaining show.   I hope they're successful.

THOUGHTS AND OR COMMENTS?   Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net and I will respond to you ASAP.   Don't write to the blog because there's no way for me to know your email address which means I wouldn't be able to respond to you.   I respond to everyone unless you identify yourself as "Anonymous".

THE NEXT BLOG?   Well, the way things have been going, it might be Friday again, but what I'll try to do is write it next Thursday evening, February 28 or very early Friday morning, March 1.

Meanwhile, I hope that all of you have a very pleasant weekend which includes enjoying the Oscars and don't forget...

AMERICA FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home