Tuesday, April 17, 2007

RICK DEES, HALL OF FAMER


This is going to be a very good day for legendary Los Angeles broadcaster, Rick Dees. He's in Las Vegas where he'll be inducted into the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) Hall of Fame. It's not the first Hall of Fame Dees has been inducted into, but the timing of THIS induction is especially sweet for Rick.

I mean, ESPECIALLY sweet!

I told the Rick Dees story in a "The Way I See It" column of mine in LARadio.com a few months ago, but the essence of that story is this; After 20 years of record setting ratings and money made for KIIS-FM, Dees suddenly found himself where lesser mortals (like myself) are familiar with. "On the street". Rick would say, "It was like I was in radio jail!" Less than a year ago, an opportunity at Movin' 93 presented itself, Rick said, "Yesss!" and now he's in the process of trying to help THAT station reach heights never imagined.

Meanwhile, Rick Dees will be inducted into another Hall of Fame today and as a guy who's worked with him and had the pleasure of being his friend, I find myself being happier than a pig in slop.

Congratulations, Rick!

Speaking of people who are good at what they do, I call your attention to James Woods. A many times awarded film actor who's now starring in a television series, "Shark", for CBS. The show has done well for CBS, the cast, crew and producers all like the very intense Woods, a second season is all but guaranteed, except... for whacha call a little "hitch in the get-along". Woods might choose to NOT do a second season. I don't think this is about money. I think it's more about the hours, the everyDAY hours a television series demands.

I've seen every episode of "Shark", I like the show and I like the characters Woods is surrounded with. Especially the actress who plays Woods' daughter, Danielle Panabaker. She's 19, I had never heard of her, but the first time she showed up on screen in the first episode, I said, "Whoa! Who's THIS?" I don't know about the rest of you, but I BELIEVE she's Woods' daughter. It'll be a shame if we don't see more of Danielle Panabaker next season, because if James Woods chooses to not return, the show "Shark" won't return.

A show that definitely won't return next season is "The Sopranos". The second episode of the final season was shown on HBO this past Sunday. Reviews from a tough crowd of critics have been tepid. I respectfully disagree. No, we haven't seen a bunch of people getting whacked and we're not sure of what sort of resolution or closure we'll be getting, but I can't help but be caught up in the acting we're watching and "The Sopranos" continues to prove the old adage, "If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage!" This classic television show DOES have it "on the page" thanks to terrific writers who have terrific actors capable of showcasing that great writing. Enjoy it while you can. The Sopranos are about to leave the building.

Tomorrow:

A shout out to Rich "Brother" Robbin and his oldies format that "gets it".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home