Tuesday, June 19, 2007

THE SECOND EPISODE OF "JOHN FROM CINCINNATI" WAS BETTER, BUT THIS IS MOSTLY ABOUT THOUGHTS FROM SOME READERS!

After seeing the first episode of HBO's "John from Cincinnati", I wrote (in this blog) that I thought it was "well acted stupidity". I saw the second episode yesterday. The acting is still very good, but this second episode, instead of seeming to be stupid (to me), was whacha call, weird. And at times, funny. The funniest scene took place in a public restroom after this weird John from Cincinnati character either did or didn't take a big dump. I know. If you didn't see what I'm talking about, I'm coming across as weird. The episode will be shown a lot the rest of this week. When you see it, you'll know what I mean. But what was weird on top of weird was how this episode ended when a kiss from what I think was a parrot seemed to magically bring a young surfer out of a coma. What the hell is going on here? Birds who can heal along with the title character of the show who may not have the ability to conduct normal bathroom business? And why am I still watching this foolishness? Ya know what? I can hardly wait for next Sunday's episode.

I also watched the debut of "Meadowlands", a new Sunday night show on Showtime. It stars David Morrissey who was recently seen making love to Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct 2" and this is another weird show. The Morrissey character and his family have been put into the Witness Protection Program and they've been put into a place called "Meadowlands". A community that is inhabited exclusively by other people who are in the Witness Protection Program. The first episode showed a little weirdness, but the weird possibilities are endless and I think Sunday nights have gotten big time interesting for television viewers.

A READER'S THOUGHTS ABOUT BARRY BONDS:

"LB", a reader or listener from St. Louis wrote a note wondering about the "drama" I referred to in yesterday's musings, but then he or she took off on the Barry Bonds item I brought up.

"It seems Barry may be here in St. Louis when he breaks the record playing the Cardinals. People are laying bets if it will be standing room only. Will the crowd cheer or jeer? Is he coming by the record honestly? Will he be rewarded in spite of his suspected abuse of maybe legal, maybe not, drugs? Is it right? Is it wrong? I'm taking the position less traveled and most forgotten. The third position. I don't care. They can't make me care either. What I find odd, and filled with irony is, in my opinion I don't think even Bonds cares and I don't think anyone can make him care either."

Wow! Interesting stuff, LB and thanks for sharing. Short Commentary: Ya know what, I don't care either. Not really. I tend to root for people who show charming attributes of some kind, even if said attributes are shown in spite of themselves. I've yet to see anything charming about Bonds and when he breaks the record, I'll read about it. And forget about it.

OBSERVATIONS FROM A CITIZEN FOLLOWED BY A MEMORABLE QUOTE:

Robert W. Dean is a Georgia State employee and here's what he said to the New York Times about the illegal immigration debate; "It really upsets me to find out that my government says, 'Yes, we can secure the border, we can detain illegal aliens, we can take all sorts of actions to enforce the law, but we will do so only if congress provides legal status to those who are here illegally.'"

And while we chew on that, I submit for your perusal a quote that was sent to me by former CNN News anchor, Patrick Emory. A quote about immigrants from Theodore Roosevelt in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room but for one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

AND ON A LIGHTER NOTE:

Long time film, television and stage actor Edwin Craig sent me a cute story about two senior citizens.

A elderly Florida couple go to a sex therapist's office. The doctor says, "What can I do for you?" The man says, "Will you watch us have sexual intercourse? The doctor raises his eyebrows, but because he's amazed that such an elderly couple is asking for sexual advice, he agrees.

When the couple finishes, the doctor says, "There's absolutely nothing wrong with the way you have intercourse." He thanks them and charges them $50.

The next week, the couple returns and asks the sex therapist to watch again. This happens several weeks in a row.

Finally, after 5 or 6 weeks of this routine, the doctor says, "I'm sorry, but I have to ask. Just what are you trying to find out?"

The old man says, "We're not trying to find out anything. She's married and we can't go to her house. I'm married and we can't go to my house. The Holiday Inn charges $98, the Hilton charges $139. We do it here for $50, and I get $43 back from Medicare."

EDITOR'S NOTE: If you read this before pictures have been added, come back! Pictures will be up soon. A new blog is written every morning, Monday through Friday and is posted between 7 and 7:15 (sometimes earlier). Questions and or comments can be sent to scottstjames@sbcglobal.net I do write back. Don't forget! Monday through Friday you can HEAR this blog. The links to the three stations broadcasting today's blog can be found at the bottom of my links section which is to the right of what you're reading now. It's the last three links.

TOMORROW: Hopefully, the J. Edgar Hoover story I'd like to tell you along with some more entertainment news and anything else that jumps out at me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon Badeaux said...

The reason people cheered for Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire to break the all-time home run record is because they were real people who didn't take themselves too seriously. In St. Louis, you might find yourself sitting in church next to McGuire. Or buying soft pretzels or fried pickles. He was a stand-up citizen of the city of St. Louis. I understand Sammy Sosa was equally loved in Chicago.

I've never read a love story about Barry Bonds. The real cheering will probably come long after he breaks the record... and someone else breaks HIS!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear scott.............jammer......nice to hear you are back in my home town......id love to grab a bite at lunch one day.......im in studio city......al gottfried

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home