Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"My wheelchair has DIED!! I'm right outside the BUILDING!! Do YOU speak ENGLISH?!?"

The headline above is a word for word plea that I heard while walking past an assisted living facility here in Valley Village, California. The frustrated tenant at that facility ended his rant by yelling, "I'm calling the POLICE for help!!!"

Yes, he was on a cell phone. I was walking behind him when I realized that his motorized wheelchair had lost power at an intersection. He is obviously a proud man because he refused my offer to help. Instead, he used his arms and hands to move the wheelchair to the front door of the assisted living facility, a front door that could be reached only by climbing steps. Yes, if he had gone in a different direction, he would have arrived at a door in which he could have entered without encountering steps, but this was the shorter distance to get to what he thought would result in immediate "assistance" at this "assisted" living facility.

This man had tried to communicate with the person who was on the other end of the phone for a minute or so when he suddenly realized there was a very good chance that the person he was speaking with didn't understand him. That's when he yelled what I wrote in the headline and then added his following line about "calling the police" in the first paragraph.

SHORT COMMENTARY:

You see, this is one of the very big problems regarding modern immigrants to this country. ILLEGAL and LEGAL! So many of them refuse to make the effort to LEARN ENGLISH!!!

Oh, bleeding heart editorial writers for the Los Angeles and New York Times who mean well will tell us over and over again about the benefits we gain from this massive infusion of legal and illegal foreigners. But what they refuse to acknowledge is how many of these foreigners feel it's their divine right to bring their culture and language with them and expecting us to adapt to them as opposed to them adapting to us! Not to mention the free schooling they take advantage of along with free health care, automatic citizenship for children they deliberately have here so they can take advantage of that stupid law and then use that citizenship as a "sympathy chip" when mommy and daddy face deportation. You know what the howling is then, don't you? "You're breaking up the family!!! Wah, wah, you're breaking UP the FAMILY!!!"

What a load of horse manure! If illegal mommy and daddy get deported, no law or no immigration official or no judge will tell them that illegal mommy and daddy have to go, but that legal child or children have to stay! Illegal Mommy and daddy can simply take their children with them, the family stays united and the rest of us are spared THE PHONY THEATRICS!

Folks, I've said it before and I'll say it again. The overall immigration problem (especially illegal immigration) isn't about folks being prejudiced against Latinos. I mention Latinos because there are far more of them who are here illegally than Asians, Russians or any other nationality you can think of.

The problem is, we have TOO MANY PEOPLE HERE NOW!!!

And then when the problem gets compounded by so many of these immigrants refusing to learn English and American banks and all other businesses roll over and see to it that their deliberate lack of language skills is addressed by making life miserable for the rest of us, is it any wonder that there is a growing movement in this country that in essence has American people saying, "I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!"

You know. Just like that poor guy in the wheelchair the other day.

THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS? Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net
I write back to everyone.


AMERICAN IDOL AND THE FINAL TEN!!!

Last night, the American Idol singers were told to choose a song from the year they were born.
What you're about to read are short notes I wrote about all of last night's singers, the songs they sang and who I think deserves to be eliminated tonight.

1: Ramiele sang, "Alone". And because of voice problems, she probably felt alone. Overall? A so-so performance.

2: Jason let it be known that it was his birthday. Happy Birthday, Jason. The song Jason sang was "Fragile". And Jason appeared to sing the song in a fragile way. I mean, you could barely hear him. Jason is a major candidate to be sent home tonight.

3: Syesha sang, "If I were your Woman". Each week, Syesha comes across as more and more adorable, but I didn't think her singing of this Gladys Knight classic was as good as two of three judges thought it was. She should be safe as far as the judging from viewers goes, but in order to win this thing, she's going to have to get better.

4: Chikezie sang, "If Only for one Night". Chikezie has been a personal favorite of mine because of all the chances he has taken. The one constant about being a risk taker is that you'll usually shine or cause others to whine. Chikezie got the whine treatment last night and he deserved it. I hope it doesn't cost him the opportunity to return next week.

5: Brooke sang, "Every Breath you Take" and I liked it. The judges didn't agree with me, but I don't think she's in danger tonight.

6: Michael decided to go with two for the price of one. A combination of "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions". This was ambitious, big time risky and it WORKED! BIG time!!!

7: Carly sang, "Total Eclipse of the Heart". It was good, but she's been better. Carly got worked over pretty good by the judges and that's because of high expectations. Carly is arguably the best singer in this group of final ten. Because by showing us what she's capable of, she's raised the bar to such a point, that anything less than that is looked upon unfavorably. She might be sent home tonight and if so, that would be a big shame.

8: Young David sang, "You're the Voice". The song and young David's performance did nothing for me! Young David is a much better singer than Sanjaya, but he's got that Sanjaya following, so he probably won't be eliminated tonight. Yo, David! Cuteness can take you just so far. Ask Sanjaya.

9: Kristy sang, "God Bless the USA". I like Kristy, I think she's adorable, if I were 20 years younger I'd be calling in a favor by asking the A.I. people to set up a "meet and greet", but I've been worried about Kristy. She has come darn close to being eliminated twice! And it's because she just wasn't singing well. I have a little test I call, "The tingle test". If your singing makes me "tingle" you're on, baby! And last night, Kristy was ON!!!

10: Older David sang, "Billy Jean". Older David went for the gusto. He took a big time risky approach that could have been a disaster, but it WORKED! Man, did it work!

To me, the main candidates in danger of being eliminated tonight are Young David, Carly, Chikezie, Jason and Ramiele. I think it should be Jason.

THE NEXT BLOG?

Unless something comes up, a week from today, I'll write the next one. And you know that at least one of the subjects will be something that makes me say, "Whaaaat?!?"

THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS: Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net
I write back to everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home