Friday, April 06, 2012

If Obama will be "One and Done", is his WIFE to blame? And does the GOP (now) have anyone BETTER?!?

If you care about what is written here, I know that you know that what you see above will be covered like a blanket, but please bear with me while I mention a couple of other things first.


I'd like to acknowledge a few people who, on their own (in other words, I didn't ask them or beg them) have promoted this little blog on my behalf and because of them (along with people I'm not aware of), more and more folks are reading and commenting (to me) about things that are written here.


The first guy to do it was LARadio.com Publisher/Owner, Don Barrett. Since then, people like Hall of Fame music promoter Don Graham, "Hollywood Hills" Publisher/Owner, Jack Roberts, retired Illinois gasoline mogul, Dave Acocks annnnd...The one and only, Claude Hall have been doing it. For those who don't know, Claude Hall is the Godfather of every column about radio that you've ever read. More years ago than most of us admit to being old, Claude Hall was writing a column about radio people while he was Billboard Magazine's most popular columnist. I was hosting radio shows on very good radio stations during many of those years that a lot of other people began to write radio columns, but none of those people ever did it as well as Claude Hall did. And Claude Hall is STILL doing it in an every Sunday column for "Radio Daily News".


Don Barrett recently received a Lifetime Achievement Award for his many years of writing a column here, a column that Don Barrett now writes (pretty much) when he feels like it which tends to be two or three times a week. Jack Roberts' column is relatively new, but is very popular and he writes a new column five days a week.


I'm sure there are others, but the above mentioned are the ones I know about and I proudly and gratefully give them this "Thank you very much!" in the form of a "Shout Out!"


By the way, here's another "shout-out" to all you patient readers of this blog because we're running late due to something that was totally out of our control. I finished a blog I was very proud of a little after one this morning. A blog that was destroyed by the computer people. Nothing was retrievable. Another example of "Stuff happens!" and now it's time for me to "Get over it!" and GET BUSY!


Is President Obama going to be a "One and Done" president?


A year or so ago, I wrote a commentary about how I thought President Obama used up valuable "Political Capital" on health care reform when he should have been concentrating on our bad economy. I also pointed out that the bad economy wasn't all George W. Bush's fault because bad economy things were happening before Bush got elected. Unfortunately, the Bush administration's policies made our economy worse and by the time Obama was elected our economy was "in the ditch", so to speak.


Voters bought into Obama's "Hope and Change" sales pitch, but the hope and change that voters had in mind was, in essence, "We hope you (Obama) change the direction our economy has taken!"


Instead, Obama rolled big dice on health care reform. A decision that took a long time before it got approved. Meanwhile, American citizens were losing their homes, their jobs and their dignity. And these same American citizens began to get angry. At Obama.


The first question a lot of people asked was (in essence), is Obama getting any kind of good advice from his trusted inner circle? I've looked into that and I was told that Rahm Emanuel and David Axelrod darn near begged Obama to attack the economy situation and no matter how long it took, to STAY on the attack until they could (in unison) say, "Mission accomplished" and THEN try to do something about health care reform.


I'm also told that it was Michelle Obama who talked her husband into trying to get a health care reform bill passed before he devoted his energies to the economy.


Wow! And that leads me to wonder about something else. As I'm sure you know, President Obama recently took some verbal shots at members of our Supreme Court. Shots that seemed to imply a feeling by Obama that the Supreme Court might be on the verge declaring this bill Unconstitutional and accusing them of "Judicial Activism".


As I'm sure you know, Obama's Press Secretary has been telling people that Obama didn't mean what people thought he meant, he knows the Supreme Court has the authority to do, etc., etc.


The problem with that defense is that everyone with half a brain thought that Obama did mean what it sounded like he meant.


The argument of "judicial activism" gets brought up every once in while by people on both sides of he political aisle. And maybe people are right when they make that claim, but no president should ever say that. Get a friendly congress-person or a member of your staff to say it because the president needs to look like he's "above it all".


And that leads me to another question. Was THIS Michelle's idea, too?


If so, bad advice, Mrs. Obama. Bad advice twice. And maybe it's long past time for President Obama to remind family members that HE'S the guy who got ELECTED! Unless it's too late.


Just sayin'....Just hopin'....Just needin'....Some change.


But will the GOP have a strong enough candidate to BEAT Obama in the upcoming election?


I think most folks agree that as of now, the Republican candidate figures to be Mitt Romney. Before I begin to play "Devil's Advocate" regarding a possible Romney nomination, let's talk about him a little.


Lately, Romney has been singing the praises of Congressman Paul Ryan. There is some talk that Ryan might be asked to be Romney's running mate.


When I first heard about Congressman Ryan, I got the feeling he was/is the GOP's new Rock Star. And then I pretty much forgot about him until he was recently in the news. And the reason he was in the news was because he said a U.S. Military General lied when he said (in essence) the amount of money that would be needed for our defense budget wasn't anywhere near the amount of money Congressman Ryan thought should be set aside for our defense budget.


And I immediately said, "Uh, oh!" The guy I thought was a political Rock Star is just another one of those guys who at times is in over his head and who gets his marching orders from people like Grover Norquist, a guy who's never been elected to anything. A guy who is one hell of a salesman because he's talked a lot of Congress-People into signing pledges that state they'll never vote for a tax increase, they'll always vote on the side that protects the rich because of a belief in the voo-doo economics associated with the "Trickle Down Theory" that Reagan got talked into by David Stockman and a theory that has never benefited the MOST of us, but has damn sure benefited the LEAST of us.


But HEY! The most of us DO get to EAT CAKE! Sarcasm intended.


And that brings me to Mitt Romney. It is my view that what we need as a President of the United States is someone who has feelings for and understands what everyday Americans have to navigate their way through on a daily basis.


Is Mitt Romney that kind of guy? I mean, this guy is always letting us know how rich he is, the fact that his wife drives two expensive cars, he's made a whole lot of his money by firing people and now he's having elevators installed in his home and or homes. That's something that isn't relatable to most folks. But these elevators he's having installed are for his CARS! Think about it. Who does THAT?!? The relatable to us all Mitt Romney does, that's who.


And come on! Subsidies for oil companies? The oil companies are making tons of money WITHOUT subsidies. That money could be used to help our economy get back on track.


Mitt Romney and (maybe) Paul Ryan will be the GOP presidential nominees? Maybe and maybe not. More on that in a minute.


A Northern California reader named Mike Baker sent me a quote I'd like to share with you:


"I think Congress-People should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors!"


Thank you, Mike Baker.


In last week's blog, I stated the belief that many years from now, (unless things change dramatically) historians might come to the conclusion that our two worst presidents were George W. Bush and Barack Obama. I also made the observation (unless things change) it's possible our worst presidents would have held office back to back to back. A number of readers thought I was referring to Bill Clinton as the third president. I was actually referring to Romney in case he got elected. Some other readers chimed in with names like Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, etc., etc. as being "Worst Presidents" in our history and that got me to thinking; We all know what Mt. Rushmore is famous for. Maybe we should declare a place that would feature presidents who were off the charts failures. A swamp, perhaps? In the Everglades? I'm open to suggestions.


And now I'm going to do some presidential speculation regarding the upcoming election:


A lot of noisy Republicans don't want Mitt Romney to be their nominee.


A lot of quiet Democrats would prefer a different nominee.


And here are two possible scenarios.


Again...I'm speculating.


Republican convention. A whole lot of noise leads to the conclusion that the GOP needs a nominee who's well thought of, he actually knows something about what everyday American citizens go through, he's more moderate than the other nominees, he hasn't signed or agreed to pledges and he's married to a Latina.


JEB BUSH!


Democrat convention. Very quiet and behind the scenes conversations take place in which President Obama comes up with the "Mother of all good reasons" for his decision to step aside. Stepping forward is the new nominee, a person who is recognized by most as having been a very good Secretary of State, a person who believes we do indeed need health care reform, a "moderate" kind of thinker and a person who deals well with difficult men.


HILLARY CLINTON!


Just sayin' by way of speculatin'....Just hopin'....Thinkin' 'bout changin'....And always advocatin', AMERICA FIRST!!!


WHEW!!!!!


Entertainment Stuff:


Keith Olbermann. On second thought, I've changed my mind. There's nothing entertaining about Olbermann anymore. He needs medical help.


"The Hunger Games". We've all heard about this film before it was released and now we're hearing about all the tickets that have been sold and because I saw this film a few days ago, I now understand what all the shouting's been about. This is a very good film, gang. A lot of films will be shown before the next Oscar nominations will be announced, but if it was time to be making those nominations, I would give Oscar consideration to the film, the director, Supporting Actor consideration to Woody Harrelson and Lenny Kravitz, Best Actor consideration to Josh Hutcherson and Best Actress consideration to Jennifer Lawrence.


"Salmon Fishing in the Yemen". This is a film I would have probably waited until it showed up on cable if it hadn't been recommended to me by someone I know. Peter Boam is a guy I worked with at my first professional radio job many years ago and I haven't seen him since. He found this blog and has been giving me feedback. He also recommended this film. Thank you, Peter. I loved this film and if it was Oscar nomination time I would give props to Director Lasse Hallstrom.... Best Supporting Actress consideration to Kristin Scott Thomas for a scene stealing performance the likes of which you can't forget....Best Supporting Actor consideration for a guy I had never heard of. He plays the role of an easy going wise man named Sheikh Muhammed and the actor's real name is Amr Waked. If he's not a one-trick pony, I think this is a guy we're going to see a lot more of....Best Actor consideration for Ewan McGregor who's wearing his heart on his sleeve in this film....And Best Actress consideration for Emily Blunt. I loved her in "The Adjustment Bureau" with Matt Damon and I loved her again in this film, "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen". In addition to being very attractive and a very good actress, Emily Blunt is arguably the most ADORABLE actress in the world. I mean, when I'm watching her, I want to reach through the screen and give her a hug. And if she allowed me to go FURTHER that that? I know. Dream on, big boy. Good film, folks. Check it out.


TELEVISION:


A lot of the shows are showing reruns, or taking multiple breaks or showing season enders, especially on cable. Season enders like three of my favorite shows on Showtime; "Shameless", "Californication", "House of Lies". All three of the shows have been renewed for next season. "House of Lies" stars the very fine actor Don Cheadle and the very beautiful and sexy Kristen Bell. But what I got a real kick out of was seeing a long time friend of mine on that show. Edwin Craig. Take a bow, bro!!!


I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you haven't been watching "Smash", Monday nights on NBC, you have been missing a heck of a good show. A show that has already been renewed for next season and a show that some Broadway folks are thinking about making a stage play of. The special guest star in next Monday's episode is the very fine actress Uma Thurman.


"Magic City" will be on STARZ tonight. They showed a preview edition last weekend and I liked it. It's about Miami Beach in the late 50's and early 60's and it stars a very fine actor who might have finally gotten his big break. Jeffrey Dean Morgan. You "Grey's Anatomy" fans remember him when he played the role of Denny Duquette, a role that brought tears to the eyes of many viewers. His name in "Magic City" is Ike Evans and he's a hotel owner. Danny Huston (of the famed Huston family) is known as "The Butcher" and he's Evans' partner. A lot of beautiful women, handsome guys, great cars and a lot of fast moving drama.


New Jennifer Love Hewitt show on Lifetime this Sunday night. It's called "The Client List" and all you guys need to know is that she is hot, hot, hot in this show. I mean, SMOKIN' Hot!


"American Idol". Gang, if you haven't seen "Idol" lately, it's no longer same-o, same-o, same-o. The singers are now treated to great staging, chorus singers, great supporting musicians, no drama judges and good ol' Reliable Ryan. Simon Cowell brought a lot of drama to "Idol" all the years he was there and he was missed when he left the show. But not anymore. The fact of the matter is, "Idol" is now a better show WITHOUT Simon.


THOUGHTS AND OR COMMENTS? Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net and I will respond to you ASAP. Don't write to the blog because there's no way for me to know your email address which means I wouldn't be able to respond to you. I respond to everyone except those who send "Anonymous" emails. Those are ignored.


THE NEXT BLOG? Because of things we had no control over, this blog is going out a day later than usual, so as I always say, barring unforseen circumstances, the next blog will be posted late Thursday night, April 12 or very early Friday morning, April 13.


I hope that all of you have a very Happy Easter and don't forget...


AMERICA FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home