Thursday, May 10, 2012

President Obama supports same-sex marriages! Do YOU! And yes, I'll tell you what I think! Mitt Romney has apologized for being a high school bully!! Will Mike Huckabee be Romney's running mate? Gas prices are going up again but we still give these greedy oil barons monumental TAX BREAKS while THEY break our living BUDGETS?!? And if you think YOU'RE having a bad day, imagine what it's like for John Travolta!!!

Hi everybody and a big, big welcome to all of our new subscribers!

I think that for those of us who seriously pay attention to current events, we will agree that there have been some interesting things that have happened during the past few days.

Walking distance from where I live, something interesting will be taking place this evening.   This evening being, Thursday evening, May 10.   I'm being specific about the day I'm referring to because I know that many of you won't read this until sometime this weekend.

President Obama will be at George Clooney's home in Studio City, California from 6 or so this evening until 11 or so along with a lot of supporters who paid at least $40,000 to have dinner and to listen what President Obama had to say.

Like I stated, Clooney's home is walking distance from where I live, but no, I won't be taking THAT walk this evening.   I've made a little bit of a "name" for myself during all the years I've been here, but not the kind of name that gets you invited to having dinner with the President of the United States.   Or with George Clooney.   Yeah, 40 grand comes into play, too.

I have no idea what President Obama will say this evening, so I'll write about what I DO know he said yesterday.

He said he believes that same-sex marriage should be legal.

Some of you who have just now read those ten words in the above paragraph are people who are holding their breath or have uttered an expletive, spit, whatever.

And I understand that.

But just for the heck of it, let's kick this subject around a little bit.

I'm a big Clint Eastwood fan.   When he was asked about gay marriage, he said, "Why not?"

Before I go any further, let me be clear about something.   Just because President Obama says he believes same-sex marriage should be legal doesn't mean that it's automatically the law of the land.   No, some serious legislation would have to be passed before legalization were to happen.

Here's my position;   I can go either way on this.   I won't be bothered if a law making same-sex marriage IS the law of the land or if it is NEVER the law of the land.

If it is never the law of the land, then what I AM in favor of is a law that allows two same-sex people who are in love with each other and are living together to have the same benefits and protections that married opposite-sex couples have.   For a lot of people (especially older people) the idea of same-sex couples being allowed to say that they are MARRIED is something that strikes a hurtful nerve and it would/will be next to impossible to get them to change their minds.   And any time they might be willing to think about it, they'll hear or watch some cave-man talk show host use religion as a hook to talk about what a SIN a law like this would be.

And my response to that would be that we have heard over and over and over again that we all have been created equal and "The Bible tells me so!"

We are also told that God created all of us.   Do you think God is constantly making a mistake every time God creates a "gay" person?  

If you're a true "believer", it's impossible for you to think like that.

I'm a guy who believes in compromise when it comes to something like this.

Yo, Gay Couples!   I'm going to suggest that the most important part of the relationship you now have is that you're in love with each other.   You're probably living together and you would like this living together thing be documented in some way so you can have the same benefits heterosexual couples have.

You are hearing the loud voices from people who do not want you to be able to say that you're a "married" couple.   As much as it might (mentally) hurt to give up the idea of having what you have referred to as a marriage, do yourself a big favor and try to get something legislated that is called another word or words instead of "marriage" but it's something that you gives you the same benefits and protections that a "marriage" does.

And while you gay couples (or supporters of gay couples) might be squirming while reading what I've written in the form of a suggestion, remember THIS:   You're in love with each other.   Do you know how many people there are who HAVEN'T found their dream companion.   You HAVE found your dream companion.   COMPROMISE!   Everything else is conversation.


Mitt Romney Was A High School Bully?!?

Apparently so.   He apologized for it today.

This information was uncovered by (I think) the Washington Post and the people who told the story are former classmates and that's why Romney felt a need to apologize.

And now we know how he learned to be a successful bully for Bain while he was firing thousands of workers.

Speaking of Romney, have you heard the "buzz" about Mike Huckabee possibly being Romney's running mate.   I've had several on-air conversations with Governor Huckabee, I like him a lot and quite frankly I think he would be a better presidential candidate than Romney is.   A LOT better!!!

SUDDEN THOUGHT:

President Obama has been receiving slings and arrows because of his support of gay marriage and Governor Romney has been receiving slings and arrows for being a bully and gutless when it comes to standing up for people he SHOULD be standing up for.   And yes, I got quite a few emails from people about that subject after I wrote about it in last week's blog.

Anyway...It's safe to say that Obama and Romney have had whacha call a "bad day" (so far) today.

And yeah, maybe a lot you readers have had a bad day, too.

But how do you think YOUR bad day and Obama and Romney's bad day compares to the bad DAYS that John Travolta has had recently?!?

Just askin'.


GAS PRICES!!!

Have you noticed?   Of course you have!   Gas prices are going UP again!   But we are still giving those greedy bastard oil barons monumental TAX BREAKS while THEY break our LIVING BUDGETS!!!   Why is this allowed to CONTINUE?   Bought and paid for Congress people by lobbyists.  Greedy Congress people who don't give a damn about you or me.

Just sayin'.   And sayin' the truth.


ENTERTAINMENT STUFF:

Before telling you about some television shows that have been renewed for next season along with some other entertainment related observations, I want to tell you about an enjoyable experience I had in Long Beach, California yesterday.

Long Beach resident Patrick Gallagher is a reader of this blog.   I think he disagrees with a lot of what I write, but he's nice about it and he has a long memory.   He remembers when I was doing a sports-talk show here with two other well known Los Angeles area guys.   Joe McDonnell and Doug Krikorian.   Joe and Doug are now doing an internet sports-talk show five days a week at the great Long Beach sports bar, "Legends".    Pat told me he was going to show up there yesterday and he wondered if I might like to show up as well.   

Because I hadn't seen Joe and Doug for quite a while, I thought this would be a good idea.   A surprise for both of those guys.   The first of the two to see me was Doug and I could tell that because of my "new look", he had no idea who I was.   Right then and there, I knew I was going to have a good time.   When Joe arrived, I was asked if I would join them on the broadcast.   I did and it was as though we had never gone in different directions.   Me with the acting, Doug with the writing and chasing women and Joe with a marriage and a lot of lost pounds.

I think I was with those guys for an hour or so.   It was an absolute blast and I would like you people here in the L.A. area who like sports to make it a point to go to "Legends" your own selves.  When you arrive, you will see nice looking people who are looking at huge screens showing any sporting event you could possibly think of along with great food and a variety of liquids to wash it down with.   If you're there while Joe and Doug are there, walk upstairs, say, "Hi!" and tell 'em Scott St. James sent ya.

Pat Gallagher?   Pat, it was nice to finally meet you in person and thanks for what turned out to be a fun trip for me.

Where IS "Legends", you ask?    5236 East 2nd Street, Long Beach, CA 90803.   Phone number?   Gotcha covered.   562-433-5743

And now the film and TV stuff:

Have you seen "The Avengers"?   I tried to see an 11AM showing this past Tuesday, but because of the very long line of people, I turned around and went grocery shopping instead.   This film has now sold more than 800 million dollars worth of tickets world-wide.

TV shows I want to mention include "Magic City" which is on STARZ and I thought last Friday's episode was the best episode this show has had so far.   And I don't think I'm the only guy who thinks that the actress Elina Satine who plays the role of "Judi Silver" is one heck of scene stealer.   If you haven't seen this show yet, check it out.   A lot of reruns are shown and there are a lot of beautiful people on this show.

Only two more episodes of "House" on Fox and then that show will be OVER!   They're going out with a bang, folks.   If you get a chance to watch the remaining episodes, you'll be glad you did.

Uma Thurman was a great addition to NBC's "Smash", but after last week's terrific episode, Uma Thurman has left the building and the season finale (which looks like it might include a cat fight) will be aired next week.

"Glee" on Fox is wrapping up this season with some great story lines.   Their season finale will be May 22.   I think they're showing a 2-hour espisode next week.   Maybe that's the episode that Lindsay Lohan will be appearing on.

2-hour show finale for "Desperate Housewives" this Sunday on ABC.   After this show, the Housewives will have "left the building".   And if we're to believe what we've been reading, none of the actresses ever want to work with Teri Hatcher again.

I thought the episode of "Revenge" last night was very interesting.   They presented us with a 10-years ago episode that gave us a chance to figure out why some of the things we had seen had happened.   2 more episodes before the season finale and yes, "Revenge" has been renewed for next season.

And here are some other renewals of shows that I'm very happy about;

"Southland" (5th season) on TNT..."Parenthood" on NBC..."30-Rock" on NBC..."Law & Order: SVU" (14th season) on NBC...And a new Dick Wolf show, "Chicago Fire" will be on NBC next season.   The stars will be "The Vampires Diarys' " Taylor Kinney and "House's" Jesse Spencer.

And yes, "American Idol" has been renewed.   Two more seasons.   This season, which still has three more weeks to go because of the contestant who was eliminated tonight, is a season that arguably (because of the singers) has been the BEST season ever for "A.I.".   And I don't think I'm alone when I say we viewers would love it had none of the final four contestants been eliminated.  In addition to last night's singing competition, we were shown a few clips from a new film which will be released soon.   "Rock of Ages", featuring an all-star cast that includes Tom Cruise singing and we're told he sings very well.

THOUGHTS AND OR COMMENTS?   Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net and I will respond to you ASAP.   Don't write to the blog because there's no way for me to know your email address which means I won't be able to respond to you.   All emails from you are responded to by me except for "Anonymous" emails.   Those are ignored.

THE NEXT BLOG?   Barring unforseen circumstances, late next Thursday night, May 17 or very early Friday morning, May 18.

Meanwhile, don't forget about the mothers you are related to.   Mother's Day is this Sunday.   HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

I hope that all of you have a great weekend and don't forget...

AMERICA FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home