Thursday, August 16, 2012

John McCain has advice for President Obama! Paul Ryan is being compared to Sarah Palin! The debate moderators will be? Isn't it time to vote ALL current members OUT of Congress?!? Isn't it time for a Constitutional Amendment that would eliminate the Electoral College?!? 35-years ago today, Elvis died!!!

Hi!   Is it warm enough for you?   I ask you that because in most places, it's been exceptionally warm.   Climate change?   Global warming?   I know.   A lot of people want us to believe that global warming is a hoax.   Maybe they're right, but I do wish it was a little cooler.

When I finished and posted last week's blog, the announcement about Paul Ryan was made several hours later.   A number of other things have happened since then and when I sat down to begin THIS blog, I was a victim of "writer's cramp".   Soooo many things were on my mind and I couldn't figure out where to begin or what areas to focus in on.

It is now more than 2-hours later and I've forced myself to SAY to myself, "Write SOMETHING, Scott!   And let's just see what happens!"

So...For better or worse...Here comes a blog that might be the shortest blog ever or.....

Or what?

I have no idea, soooo....

Let's get busy!!!

Headline #1:   John McCain has advice for President Obama!

You've probably heard about this, but in case you haven't....Current Vice President Joe Biden said some things the other day that prompted Senator McCain to suggest to President Obama that he should "dump" Biden and replace him with Hillary Clinton.

I like Joe Biden, but you long time readers know that a few months ago I made the observation that I wouldn't be surprised if a last minute decision to have Hillary as Obama's VP candidate or Hillary as the democrat presidential candidate was made.

But when it comes to overall advice from Senator McCain, let's go back to his decision to have Sarah Palin as HIS running mate.   And one can't help but wonder if that was HIS decision.   Everyone who was paying attention knows that McCain wanted Joe Lieberman to be his running mate and a lot of people think McCain was (in essence) FORCED to take Palin.   And we all know how THAT worked out.

Headline #2:   Paul Ryan is being compared to Sarah Palin!

And here's why that is.   It is my view (along with many others) that the Palin decision was a "panic" decision and the Ryan decision was a "panic" decision.   And I seriously doubt that neither of those two are enjoying the comparison.

Palin is a "charismatic light weight" and Ryan is a "charismatic light weight".   Birds of a feather (in different nests) if you will.

Romney is someone we know next to nothing about other than the fact that he's rich and loves to fire people.    President Obama, in his many speeches recently has done pretty much the same thing that Romney is doing (or vice versa) because neither one of them is telling us how they plan to make things better for the next four years.   Instead, they're both spending millions on top of millions of dollars for TV ads in which all they say is what a bad guy the other guy is.   Same deal in their speeches.

Yo, CANDIDATES Obama and Romney!   Except for 1% of us, the REST of us are HURTING!   Big time!   What do you two plan to DO about that?

Just askin'.

Headline #3:   The debate moderators will be....???

Maybe THESE people can get the candidates to tell us what we really need to know!

There will be three presidential debates one VP debate.

October 3, in Denver, PBS's Jim Lehrer will be the moderator.   Jim will probably be tempted to ask Romney if he (Romney) really intends to end funding for PBS if he's elected president.

October 16, in Hempstead, NY, CNN's Candy Crowley will be the moderator.

October 22, in Boca Raton, Florida, CBS's Bob Schieffer will be the moderator.

October 11, in Danville, Kentucky, the VP debate will be hosted by ABC's Martha Raddatz.

Let the games begin.

Headline #4:   Isn't it time to vote all members out of Congress?

They have a 10% approval rating, folks!!!   And I think that number might be exaggerated.   5% or lower wouldn't surprise me at all.

The problem?   Refusal to compromise and the refusal to take care of things that REALLY need to be taken care of.   And now they're all going on a 5-week vacation???

Solution?   Fire ALL of these blankety-blanks!!!

Headline #5:   Isn't it time for a Constitutional Amendment that would eliminate the Electoral College?

To me, here's a problem that should have been solved a long time ago.   Most folks know that when they cast their ballot, it might not mean anything because this thing known as the Electoral College ends up being the "final answer", if you will.

With all of our modern technology, we have no problem counting ALL the votes that were cast by you and me.   And AFTER that counting, if Romney gets most of the votes, he should be our next president.   If Obama gets most of the votes, he should be a 2nd term president.   Buuuut....because of the Electoral College, a candidate with the most votes can very easily be the candidate who DOESN'T win.   And what the heck about that MAKES ANY SENSE AT ALL?!?

Just askin'.

Headline #6:   35-years ago, Elvis died!

I miss that man.   I attended a lot of his shows in Las Vegas.   And his people took care of me very well.   I've told this story before, but here it comes again;   I took a date to all of his shows except one.   The last show I saw.   We were placed in seats one and two in the center of the stage.   We almost were victims of neck injuries because we had to look straight up.   But my dates ended up loving it.   They were all kissed by Elvis, when the show ended, they were in a hypnotic daze of some kind for almost 24 hours before realizing and remembering who it was that brought them there.   Yes, rewards were given.

R.I.P., King!   And you'll never be forgotten.


ENTERTAINMENT STUFF:

I didn't see any new films this past week, but I did see a number of films on cable.   Here's what so great about all these cable channels.   You are able see films you never had the time to see or films you haven't seen in a long time and would like to see them again.   Like, in my case, the 2010 film, "Love and other Drugs".   Saw it again the other night and I absolutely LOVE that film.   It stars Anne Hathaway, Jake Gyllenhaal and a wonderful cast of supporting players.   This is a complicated love story that grabs me by the throat every time I see it.

The other films I saw that I recommend to you were "Taking Lives", a 2004 film that's currently on the Encore schedule.   It stars Angelina Jolie, Ethan Hawke, Kiefer Sutherland, Gena Rowlands and some great supporting players.  Big time drama film.

"Just Cause", a 1995 film that also on the Encore schedule.   It stars Sean Connery, Laurence Fishburne, Ed Harris, Kate Capshaw, Blair Underwood and a very young Scarlet Johansson.   BIG time drama, great acting and I loved it.

Tomorrow, "Expendibles 2" opens and I'm looking forward to seeing it.   I saw the first one and liked it a lot.   The film won't win any awards, but I'm sure it will be very entertaining.

One other showbiz item...The great director Martin Scorsese gave up on trying to do a Dean Martin film that he really wanted TO do because he couldn't find the right actor to PLAY Dean Martin.   Now, Scorsese says he wants to put a film about Frank Sinatra together.   When you try to find the right actor to play an icon like Sinatra, it's tough.   But I have a suggestion.   Robert Davi.   A very fine actor and a guy who's also a very fine singer.   Of Sinatra SONGS!

Just sayin'.

THOUGHTS AND OR COMMENTS?   Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net and I will respond to you ASAP.   Don't write to the blog because there's no way for me to know your email address which means I won't be able to respond to you.   As long time readers know, I respond to everyone except people who identify themselves as "Anonymous".  Those emails are ignored.

THE NEXT BLOG?   Barring unforseen circumstances, next Thursday night, August 23 or very early Friday morning, August 24.

Meanwhile, I hope that all of you have a very pleasant weekend and don't forget...AMERICA FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home