Thursday, August 23, 2012

New Newsweek cover story blares: "HIT THE ROAD, BARACK!!!" Legitimate Rape?!? Debates will decide presidential election if the moderators are good!!! AFGHANISTAN!?! Major League Umpires!!!

Hi everybody!   I hope the headlines above have grabbed your attention.

Because of a project I have to work on tomorrow, I am beginning this blog at a very early time so I can finish early.   I think this blog will be shorter than usual, but I've said that before, haven't I?

Before we get started, I'd like to share something with you that happened very close to my front door last night.   I was watching the Dodgers-Giants baseball game, so I wasn't aware of what was taking place outside.   After the game ended, I walked outside because I needed to pick up something from the supermarket right up the street from me.

What I immediately saw was that the street was blocked for several blocks and there was yellow tape all over the place.   Yes, a sizeable number of police officers were there.

When I told a police officer I was walking to the supermarket, he told me to climb under the yellow tapes and to walk on the sidewalk.

When I asked what had happened, the officer told me, "Traffic accident."   I then said, "Is that IT?"   He said, "Yes." and I kept walking.

In the next half hour, here's what I found out.   Someone seriously damaged a fire hydrant with his car and he or she had also hit something that contained electrical wires that weren't seen because it was dark.   A lot of water poured onto the street and two women immediately went towards the vehicle and were trying to be helpful.   The water and unseen electrical wires electrocuted them and they died.   At least four other people were injured.

My first thought was that if I had walked outside earlier, I could imagine myself trying to help those people.

Scary stuff, people.   The two women who died (pretty much immediately) were guilty of being "good citizens".   Turns out they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and I can't help but be reminded of a song title;   "Isn't Life Strange?"

LET'S GET BUSY!

Headline #1:   New Newsweek cover story blares:   "HIT THE ROAD, BARACK!"

The story was written by Niall Ferguson, a guy who was associated with the McCain campaign, a campaign McCain lost to Obama.   I read the whole story Ferguson wrote, it features many opinions and because I'm an opinionated guy, I have no criticism of what he wrote.    Ferguson wants Obama out and Romney in.   And there are a lot of people who agree with him.

Headline #2:   Legitimate RAPE?!?

I'm sure you've heard about this.   Todd Akin is a Missouri guy who's been a House member for a number of years and now he wants to be in the U.S. Senate.   He's very much against abortion and if things were done the way he wants them done, a woman who got pregnant because she was raped, or incest was involved or her life was in danger, it wouldn't matter.  

Mitt Romney doesn't agree with that.   He's not a supporter of abortion, but he is a supporter of the three exceptions I listed.   Romney's running mate, Paul Ryan is on record being a supporter of thinking stated by Todd Akin, but Ryan, while doing a lot of avoiding regarding his thoughts is letting everyone know that (in essence) no matter what he thinks, Romney would be Ryan's boss if Romney becomes our next president.   Translation?   If Romney continues with his "3 exceptions" position, that's how it would stay in the Romney administration and Ryan would (in essence) keep his mouth shut.

A lot of big name Republicans (including Romney) are asking Todd Akin to drop out of his race for the Senate.   As of now, Akin is rejecting Romney's and everyone else's wishes.   Ryan has also suggested to Akin that he drop out, but Akin is achin' to be a U.S. Senator.

Short commentary:   I've said it before and I'll say it again;   I believe it is the woman's right to choose.   If the law got changed, I would be very much in favor of the "three exceptions";   Rape, incest and health of the mother.

I will offer an example of one of those "exceptions".   If you're a married man, imagine how you would feel if your wife got raped.   An understandable desire you might have would be the desire to kill the rapist.   You probably wouldn't do it if you found the guy, but....

Now...Imagine how you would feel if your wife got pregnant because of this rape.    No matter how you feel about abortion, do you really want a child in your house who's father is the guy who raped your wife?   If you can emotionally live in peace with THAT, you're a stronger man than I am.

Headline #3:   Debates will decide the upcoming presidential election if the moderators are good!

I really believe that, folks.   And I can hardly wait for the debates to begin.   The first one will be held in Denver on the 3rd of October.

Headline #4:   AFGHANISTAN!!!

Have you noticed that neither one of the candidates has mentioned "Afghanistan"?    How long have we been there?   10 years?   11?   Whatever it's been, a lot of American soldiers have died there and recently the number of American deaths has increased.   Dramatically.

I was in favor of us going to Afghanistan for one reason.   To get Osama bin Laden.   It took us long enough, but we finally got him and I think it's way past time for us to get the hell out of there.   They don't like us, we have nothing in common with them, we have a lot of problems that need to be solved here and like I say at the end of each blog, "AMERICA FIRST!!!"

Headline #5:   Major League Umpires!!!

Say, whaaaaaat???   Gang, for those of you who don't know, I did radio and television sports anchoring for many years here before trying some other things like acting and this (mostly) political blog.   Just for the heck of it, I plan to throw in a sports item or two or...

Political and entertainment stuff will still be the things written about most.

Am I the only one who thinks that Major League baseball umpires have become umpires who aren't as good as umpires used to be?   Too many mistakes.   Especially when we know that we have the technology that could fix that problem.

Just sayin'.

And how about these two guys who recently got caught using illegal substances and then got 50-game suspensions?   Both of these players are good players and the teams they were on are teams that have a good chance to get into the playoffs.   But without them, those two teams might not reach the heights they were on a pace to reach.    Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The new NFL season is just around the corner.   September 5, the Super Bowl champion NY Giants will be hosting the Dallas Cowboys and you'll be able to see the game on NBC.

ENTERTAINMENT STUFF:

R.I.P. Phyllis Diller (95) and Tony Scott (68).

The Tony Scott business has a lot of unanswered questions attached to it.   In case you hadn't heard, he committed suicide by jumping off a bridge.   The reason we heard at first was that Tony Scott had "given up" because he had a brain problem that couldn't be fixed.   His family says that isn't true.   And as of now, no one seems to know why this very successful film maker decided to kill himself.

More pleasant things....

I saw one film this past week.   "The Expendables 2".   I saw the first "Expendables" film and liked it.   I also liked #2.   A lot!   Sly Stallone and veteran friends of his are flat out a "hoot" to watch.   Stallone was a co-writer of this film and it's obvious that he deliberately gave some great lines to his veteran friends.   This ain't Shakespeare folks, but it's big time entertaining.

And speaking of "entertaining"...The great show, "Political Animals" had their final episode on USA this past Sunday.   There is talk that there might be a season #2, but if there isn't, they went out with a "bang".   I do hope there will BE a second season for this show.

The second season of Kelsey Grammer's "Boss" on STARZ began last Friday and it was a GREAT show.

Only one more episode of "The Newsroom" on HBO this Sunday.   Yes, there will be a season #2.   Season #1 has been terrific.

Only one more episode of "True Blood" on HBO this Sunday.   It's been an overall strange season for that show but I think the show has been renewed again.

THOUGHTS AND OR COMMENTS?   Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net and I will respond to you ASAP.   Don't write to the blog because there's no way for me to know your email address which means I wouldn't be able to respond to you.   I respond to everyone unless you sign yourself as "Anonymous".   Those emails are ignored.

THE NEXT BLOG?   Barring unforseen circumstances, late Thursday night, August 30 or very early Friday morning, August 31.

Meanwhile I sincerely hope that all of you have a very pleasant weekend and don't forget...AMERICA FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 











  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home